Monday, December 7

BBC Sound of 2010

. Monday, December 7

The BBC has published it's famous and influential 'Sound Of...' poll results today and I was asked to take part for the first time.

Tragically, in what can only be described as a huge over sight, only one of my 3 tips made it onto the long listed 15 but y'know- I'll live.

For the record I voted for Everything Everything, Frankie and The Heartstrings and Pulled Apart By Horses on the grounds that I believe they are three bands who will play amazing gigs, make brilliant music and offer something new in 2010.

The final 15 is a mixed bag that only a panel of over 150 names could conjure up. There are the safe bets like Marina, Ellie, Delphic and The Drums lining up alongside breaths of fresh air like Giggs, Joy Orbison and Gold Panda.

2010 is a much harder year to predict than 2009 (Florence, La Roux, GaGa, White Lies) was and it seems to me to be a year set to be shaped by bands on their 2nd or 3rd albums. However if I were a betting man (and I never will be as my Fantasy Football action tells me I'm an awful predictor) then I'd offer that the BBC Sound of 2010 poll will finish as follows.

1. Ellie Goulding
2. The Drums
3. Marina and The Diamonds
4. Everything Everything
5. Hurts

What do you make of the poll? Any names that are sadly missing? Who are your tips for 2010? I'll be publishing 2 slightly different tips lists in the next week or so. Keep 'em peeeled.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Breaking More Waves Blog said...

I voted as well. 2 out of my 3 got on the list. One was a fairly 'safe' bet but the other was less so. As far as my complete tips for next year (not necessarily tips for commercial success though) I'm posting 10 on my blog, one a day. So far have listed Ellie Goulding, Hurts, Beth Jeans Houghton, Unicorn Kid, Delphic, Clare Maguire and Stornoway with three more to come. Looking forward to reading your tips lists.

Popbleat said...

I'm really disappointed Sky Ferreira and Esben and the Witch didn't make it. I've been pretty obsessed with anything I could find by them recently. Also expected to see Frankie and the Heartstrings, Monarchy and The Sound of Arrows.

Thing is, though I can't think of millions of acts that should be on the list, I just don't think many of those that made it deserve to be there.

Post a Comment