Tuesday, March 23

First and Last #3 - Golden Ages

. Tuesday, March 23

I first wrote about Golden Ages a few weeks back when I got hold of a stellar remix he did of Surfer Blood's 'Twin Peaks'. I enjoyed it so much that I had to get him involved in my new feature 'First and Last'. Read on to learn all about this Philly resident and grab some MP3's along the way...

First band you ever saw live?
I think it might have been Hot Hot Heat…a friend wanted someone to go with, and I had never really listened to the band before but wanted to see what a concert was like, so I went anyway.

What was the first instrument you played as a child?
Probably the piano, when I was around 8 years old.

First song you wrote as Golden Ages?
Everything Will Be Alright

Where was the last show you played? How did it go?
We played at a small venue for a SXSW day show, it went pretty well for being one of our first shows.

First album you ever bought?
Probably Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, by The Flaming Lips. I had read a review for it in a magazine and thought it sounded really cool and quirky; I was never really into music before that.

Last time you were drunk was...
A couple days ago, on 4Loko, which is the only drink we drink now. It was at this late-night party in Austin that Andrew WK was supposed to play at, but we ended up getting distracted by other things (namely 4Loko).

First crush on a famous person...
Alex Mack, from the Secret World of Alex Mack. That girl was so cool.

The last band you saw live recently?
I saw a bunch of bands recently, but this Chinese band called Snapline stood out the most. They play this brand of weird-minimal grooves, and their deceptively mild-mannered singer is awesome; he goes through this transformation on stage that's pretty wild.

Tell me about the first ever Golden Ages show
I never really wrote any of the Golden Ages music with the intent of playing live, so figuring out how to translate it all into a performance is something I'm still working on, but our first show was at a warehouse up in North Philadelphia, and it was plagued with technical difficulties and nerves, but everyone starts somewhere.

Last time you swore...
I don't keep track anymore

Last film you saw...
Kurosawa's Rashomon, after reading about the Rashomon effect. Great film.

Myspace: www.myspace.com/wearegoldenages
MP3: Golden Ages - Be Cool
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment