Friday, March 6

Jack Peñate- Tonight's Today

. Friday, March 6

This was actually the first new song I heard in 2009 and I'm slightly ashamed to only write about it in March. Waiting for an official video got the better of me though and so now I can spill all about the most unlikely song of the year so far.

Jack Peñate has always been someone I enjoyed but by the time his album 'Matinee' rolled around in 2007 I felt I had seen and heard so much from him I couldn't even be bothered to listen to it. It, I assume, was a collection of mildly entertaining funky-punk ska tracks and that amazing song with Adele- correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Perhaps under estimating the man I assumed his follow up would be more of the same so it was with great pleasure that I fell so hard for 'Tonight's Today'. Produced by Paul Epworth (Bloc Party, Friendly Fires) the song sounds like it was recorded in the middle of an intergalactic jungle with afro-beat rhythms, calypso guitars and deep choral backing. Jack's voice has improved immeasurably too, it was always good but now he falsetto's beautifully- especially in the "ringing church bells" middle eight.

Jack Peñate tours from late March into early April and 'Tonight's Today is released via XL on March 30th. Listen to it below.




Bookmark and Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment